Moving is a big challenge for anyone who’s about to embark on this new and exciting journey. When it comes to moving, it’s important to be packed up and ready before the Big Day arrives. When it comes to moving yourself, without any professional help, it’s vital that you pack everything securely to make the move more successful and less complicated. The following is an expert guide giving you the top house packing tips so you
can be as ready as you can for a self-move to another property.
House Packing Tips When Preparing For a Move
Box Packing 101
Boxes come in every shape and size to hold all sorts of items. Because of this you need to use the right shaped box for your particular items to ensure you don’t make a box too heavy to lift. Here are some tips for efficiently packing your boxes.
- Place heavier items in smaller boxes and lightweight items in larger boxes as this will help you not only watch the weight limit but allows you to easily move the packed boxes as needed.
Make sure the box you use for heavier items has a strong base that’s taped well. Boxes which aren’t taped well will have the bottom fall out from under you when carrying them.
- When stacking your boxes in your moving van always place the heavier boxes first and the lighter boxes last. This will reduce the risk of your items becoming squashed.
- Make sure you use bubble wrap or newspaper in between objects to help reduce item breakage in transit.
- Always tape the top of the box up when you’re finished packing to secure the items inside.
- Always write fragile if there’s fragile items in the box along with the room where the box came from to make unpacking easier.
Pack One Room At A Time
When packing rooms, it can get chaotic if you pack small boxes from each room into one big room. Instead work on packing one room at a time and make sure to keep all boxes from that room in that room for the time being. When packing a room, you should consider the following:
- Make sure you pack the larger, heavier items first as these will need to be placed on the floor ready for other boxes to be placed on top.
- Pack fragile items last to help reduce the risk of breakage. This will also allow you to keep them all in one place when loading the van.
- Keep any large furniture you need to pack on the outer edge of the box pile. This will allow you to easily get access to them first for transporting, and they will be easy to unload first when moving.
- Keep anything you need to use for the night or day separate. These items can be packed away at the last minute.
- Avoid mixing different items from different rooms in the same box, even if you’re just trying to save space.
On moving day, there’s a few things you need to consider.
- See whether a family friend can take the children for you for the day while you move to keep them out from under your feet.
- If you have pets, consider keeping them at a kennel for the day to help make the day go faster.
- In the moving truck, pack your boxes separate from your furniture. Furniture should be moved first as it’s easier to move furniture into an empty home than it is to move it into a home full of boxes.
- When lifting your boxes, bend with your knees to reduce back strain.
As you can see, moving is a big thing especially when you’re looking to do it yourself. Being prepared and packing your items before the big day can help to save you a lot of time. Just remember to relax, have fun, and enjoy the adventure. And if you’d like, Big State offers free moving to everyone who sells us their home. That’s right, absolutely free of charge. So, are you ready for your big move yet?
This article was written by our friends at SelfMoveHire.com Move More For Less!