When you’ve made the decision to sell your house, there are many steps you’ll need to undertake to ensure you have a quick and smooth sale. Even if you are planning to hire an expensive real estate agent that often will take up to 10% of the total purchase price of your home as compensation, there are several steps to preparing your house to be sold. And every one of these steps takes time additional money invested for upgrades and can create a lot of stress. However, it’s important that these steps be completed to ensure your property can be sold as quickly as possible in today’s slow housing market. First Step – Make Sure the House is Detailed Once you’ve signed on with a real estate agent or are planning to sell the home on your own, the fact remains that your house needs to be presentable prior to listing it for sale on the MLS. Most real estate agents check the MLS listing daily for their clients who are in the market to purchase a house. As such, if you’ve listed your house on the MLS and the home is not in great condition, you risk the potential buyers not being impressed with the home. As such, here are three things you should do to ensure the house is detailed and looking as good as possible before you list the house for sale.
- Make a detailed list of repair items for your home. Although this is time consuming, it is very important to walk through every part of your house, inside and out and determine what needs to be fixed to look as good as new.
- Plan a budget for repairs. After you’ve made the list, you need to then make a budget on how much these repairs will cost you or how much it will cost to hire a professional contractor if needed. Again, nobody wants to buy a damaged house, so this step is very important.
- Make sure to check off each repair as it is completed.
Second Step – Make Plans for Moving Out and Retaining New PropertyIf you’re selling your home, you’ll need to find a place to live assuming you find a buyer. And whether this will be moving in to a relative’s property, renting a new property or buying a new house, this is important to plan to ensure the moving process is smooth and with as little stress as possible. Here are a few things you’ll need to consider when you’re making plans to sell your home in regards to moving.
- Where are you going to live? If you’re moving for work, or to another town, you’ll need to plan a visit to this town to find a property that works well for you and fits in your budget.
- How are you going to move? Once you’ve found a property, you then need to plan how you will move your possessions into your new home and time this move perfectly with the sale of your current home. You should contact moving companies and truck rental companies to determine which option is the most convenient and affordable for your option.
- Check with Schools or Children’s needs. If you have children, this can compound the issue of moving. If you’re moving out of the neighborhood, you’ll most likely need to enroll them in a new school district. And often each district has different enrollment requirements that you’ll need to check on prior to the move.
As you can see, there are quite a few things you need to do to sell your home through traditional methods. However, it is always a great idea to consider all your options prior to making the decision to sell any property and find a solution that is easy, affordable, without stress and will provide you with the maximum return on your investment.